The idea of starting a business is a good one especially when you are aimed at solving problems that your targeted customers encounter on a daily basis.
However, this risky and bold venture is not something you should readily jump into without proper research and knowledge especially if it is a new business that you are not familiar with. Hence, you need to learn entrepreneurship qualities and strategies that will help you succeed in the business in the long run. And one of such ways of learning is reading business related books that will increase your business capacity and give you a head start.
By reading these books, you are exposed to knowledge about entrepreneurship mistakes to avoid and how to hit the ground running in no time.
Here are three recommended books for every aspiring entrepreneur who desires to make the best of their entrepreneurial journey:
THE LEAN STARTUP: How Today’s Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses.
This is an insightful book written by Eric Ries- an American entrepreneur, blogger, and author. The book was published in the year 2011 and it offers a step by step approach on how to develop and manage your business. Lessons to learn from the book includes:
- Managing your cash flow,
- How to effectively respond to changes you may encounter in the early stage of your business,
- Budget management, and
- The liberty to innovate and grow your business.
In a constantly evolving world, every entrepreneur or business owner must be flexible to change directions in order to remain relevant in this fast paced world.
The principles highlighted in the book are more useful for larger organizations with rigid systems to encourage innovative changes that will accelerate the company’s growth. The book is a New York best seller that every business oriented individual must read. You can get the book on Amazon
HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE:
This is a book written by Dale Carnegie– an American writer and lecturer.
Every business owner will definitely deal with customers at one time or the other and effective customer management is one of the key factors of sustaining a business. The book is divided into four sections:
- Fundamental Techniques in Handling People.
- Six ways to make people like you.
- How to Win People to Your way of Thinking.
- Be a leader- How to Change People Without Giving Offence or Arousing Resentment.
Dale projects vivid descriptions of these principles using life stories of people who had one time in their life averted crisis by being kind and considerate to friends, colleague or family.
These four sections emphasizes on: showing genuine interest in others, giving honest praise about people, being friendly in your manner of approach, accepting your faults and apologizing without putting the blame on others, getting people to do things for you without manipulation or force, respecting the opinion of others without seeing yourself as superior, addressing people by their name as this gives them a sense of self-worth, being a good listener by encouraging your clients to talk about themselves, avoiding arguments at all costs as this may further aggravate crisis and incur resentment, encouraging people to do better especially after a failed first attempt, seeing things from the view of others, giving orders indirectly by asking questions, appealing to people’s emotion, refraining from harsh criticism by letting the other person save face and the list is endless. By applying the principles in the book, you are assured of having an enjoyable and impeccable relationship with clients, family, and friends.
7 Habits of Highly Effective People:
This book was written by Stephen Covey– an author and businessman. The book inspires people to live a productive and happy life by adopting these seven habits:
- Be proactive: this explains that you have the power to choose how you respond to stimulus around you. Do not be focused on situations that you have no control over. Be conscious of your abilities and strive for improvement.
- Begin with the end in mind: means having clarity about who you want to be and what you intend to achieve and taking the necessary steps to make it achievable. You must have a clear plan in your mind before writing it down. This will constantly remind you of what needs to be done.
- Put first things first: explains what priority is all about. That is, doing the important tasks without procrastination. Create a list of important and non-urgent tasks. This will help you focus on tasks which require urgency.
- Think win/win: achieving this is based on three important traits which are Integrity (who you are and what you stand for), Maturity (expressing your ideas boldly and with consideration) and Abundance Mentality (there is plenty to go round).
- Seek first to understand, then be understood: being a good listener helps you to develop a great relationship with people.
- Synergize: emphasizes the power of a team. One person can achieve results but two or more can achieve greater results.
- Sharpen the saw: conveys the message of constant self-improvement. Take good care of yourself by exercising your body and mind, improving your social skills and spiritual life as well.
These three books will help you gain a better perspective on starting a business and life in general. By reading and applying these principles, you are assured of a memorable and profitable entrepreneurial journey. All the best!
If you find this article helpful, please do these three things for us: click the share button, drop a comment, and subscribe to our mailing list to get this type of content directly in your mail.